Sunday, June 9, 2013

East Meets West


As you might know, I've tasted and reviewed hundreds of beers over the months I've spent in Boston. I've done this by going to tastings every week at a store in Kenmore Square called the Wine Gallery (which has a very friendly and knowledgeable staff too!), as well as by going to events like the American Craft Beer Fest. The ACBF is the largest craft beer festival on the east coast, and at beer fests like this one you can purchase a ticket and try an unlimited amount of different craft beers. If you'd like to read some of my short reviews, you can check out my profile on Untappd here. Feel free to connect with me!

 

Now, this will be the first time I've written a longer review. How appropriate that it will be on a new Double India Pale Ale, or DIPA, called Rhizing Bines. This beer is a collaboration between two great craft breweries, Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada. Dogfish Head has become one of the most creative and daring breweries in the country, and Sierra Nevada is well-known for its expertise when it comes to hops. The combination made me very excited to try this brew!


As you can see, this brew pours a deep, hazy orange color. There was a large, frothy white head on top with a good deal of staying power. The glassware is also a collaboration, this time between Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, and Spiegelau. It's an excellent glass for hoppy IPAs like this one, and there was plenty of lacing left on it as the head on this beer finally started to recede.



The smell of the beer is interesting. It starts off somewhat sweet and then becomes increasingly earthy. There is a little bit of wheat in the aroma as well. Definitely not what I was expecting!


I was even more surprised when I tasted it. There was a malty flavor followed by a bit of hops. It isn't overly bitter, but there is a noticeable piney flavor. It goes down pretty smoothly for a beer of its strength. The finish gives a little bit of fruitiness to the overall taste.


I'd describe the body of Rhizing Bines as medium. As I looked at the bubbles on the bottom of the glass I could tell it was moderately carbonated.  The mouthfeel of this beer is juicy in the beginning with a dry finish.

I have to say that I really liked drinking this brew from Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada. You really do get the best of both worlds here. I'm not really a hop head, so I appreciated that there wasn't a huge bitterness to this DIPA. Still, the unique hopping processes of both breweries and the experimental "Hop 644" used to create this brew certainly made it special. I'd say the flavors in this one could satisfy the palate of just about any beer drinker. A high quality brew for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment